Friday, October 23, 2009

Books on the Web: Books v. e-Books


Is there a difference in the way the brain takes in or absorbs information when it is presented electronically versus on paper? Does the reading experience change, from retention to comprehension, depending on the medium?

Does the brain like e-books?

Do I like e-books? No, not really. I like the feel of the page in my hands, the smell of the book, the sound of pages turning. Reading is not just about the words on the page, and the images in your head: it is a sensuality that you don't get from a computer.

1 comment:

Sean said...

I don't agree with the studies that say readers retain more from books than they do computers or ebooks. I think it's more a matter of what you're used to.

Look at it this way, if we were razed reading from ebooks and the new technology were books, I think you'd find similar cons and adjustment/transition period.