Friday, October 23, 2009

But I like bookish libraries


Books are being pushed aside for digital learning centers and gaming areas. "Loud rooms" that promote public discourse and group projects are taking over the bookish quiet. Hipster staffers who blog, chat on Twitter and care little about the Dewey Decimal System are edging out old-school librarians.


The future of libraries, with or without books

I'm such a libra: I blog AND like the Dewey Decimal System. (Even if Mr. Dewey was sexist.)

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Hi JP, I saw this article back in September. I have two close friends who work at local libraries and I'm pretty sure they would be right there with you. I do love bound books and they will always be part of our personal library and have a special place in my heart. I have an affinity for them much like you do.

I do look forward to the new innovations for libraries detailed in the article. I will miss the quiet and the "bookish" nature of libraries as they become virtual information temples and community centers, but I'd rather that happen than to see libraries becoming obsolete.