Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday Book


History repeats the old conceits,
the glib replies, the same defeats...
~Elvis Costello, "Beyond Belief"

There is no trap so deadly as the trap
you set for yourself.
~Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye

Bret Easton Ellis has a new book, and if you've not read Less Than Zero, you should. (Skip the movie except for the scene in which a young Robert Downey Jr.'s character is performing felatio in a kimono.) This newest novel features a supporting character Trent, "a bisexual philanderer." Shock! Gasp!

8 comments:

Kyle said...

Liked the book. The movie had a good cast, but didn't really use the talent it had going for it.

Writer said...

Kyle, did you see Rules of Attraction?? I've yet to see it.

Kyle said...

Yes we did. I just looked up my rating on Netflix. I gave it a 4 out of five, but Netflix doesn't allow half star ratings. I know it is more of a 3.5 out of five. I didn't write a review of that one, so I don't have that to send to you. We do own it, if you want me to review it just let me know and I'll watch it again.

JamTheCat said...

Talk about overrated...how is it this guy keeps getting published when his fellow writer, Jay McInerny, who has a MUCH better way with words and images and characters and situations and, shit, EVERYTHING, gets shrugged off?

Writer said...

Kyle, a review would be great! :)

Writer said...

I think it has to do with quantity - doesn't Jay McInerny have very few books written comparatively? Knowing the book industry, that is probably why Ellis gets more of a push.

Kyle said...

JP, as long as I get the grass cut, the yard trimmed, and the plants watered early enough, I'll watch it this afternoon/evening. Expect a review in a few days?

Writer said...

Take your time. :)