Friday, October 29, 2010

Week of Music: Rocky Horror is the Midnight Movie!





Picture it: it's 1994. I've just gotten back from Governor's Scholar at Northern Kentucky University where not only did I help set video of a shopping cart rushing through a supermarket to the sound of The William Tell Overture, I'd also got my first blowjob from a boy named Donnye. I'd spent much of the summer making out with said boy and coming out to myself but then it was over and I had to come back to Central City with the knowledge that me being gay was fabulous - just very few people in my little community would think so.

Picture it: Rocky Horror Picture Show had been released for the first time on VHS, and my best friends - two girls whom I'd previously dated in a very asexual sort of way - Michelle (the brunette) and Synaca (the blonde) spend many nights together watching and re-watching Rocky Horror. We never knew about the audience participation, but we did know that we loved the illicitness of it, and we took that to the street outside Michelle's house, performing the songs of Rocky Horror at night on sleepy little (ironically-named) Morehead Street.

Finally I knew something new about myself and gay people in general. According to everything that intimated before, being gay equalled sadness, druggy, diseased, child-molesting. But on the streets singing at the top of my lungs, I knew the joy of being different, of being a freak, of being a painted bird, of being gay - moreso even than that first kiss with Donnye. The kiss only made me other, Rocky Horror filled me with the joy of it!

So, for Halloween, go out in the streets, and LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!



Happy Halloween, everyone!

10 comments:

David Waters said...

Happy Halloween;) for just a minute, the way you started the post I thought it was Sophia from the golden girls ;)

Writer said...

LOL. That was intentional. :)

Steven Anthony said...

what a sweet pic ;)

JamTheCat said...

Not to date myself, but I first saw this in San Antonio, Texas just as it hit the midnight circuit. I was able to hear all the words and enjoy the movie...and went back again and again and became a part of the audience participation. You shoulda seen my Columbia.

Writer said...

Thanks, Steven. It's me and the some of the women who made me. :)

Writer said...

Kyle, you didn't date yourself at all because I have no idea when it started doing the Midnight Movie circuit. And by "your Columbia" do you mean you dressed up as Columbia?? She's one of my favorite characters. Did you take pics?

Doc_Rob_59 said...

What a terrific post! I loved RHPS. My brother and I went nearly every week in the mid- to late 1980s; I'd just finished graduate school and he'd just been discharged (quite honorably) from the Army.

Kyle said...

Fun post JP. Memories are fun to sift through. Looks like you were all having a ball.

Writer said...

Hey, Doc Rob. So was your brother gay? Thank you for the compliment. :)

Writer said...

Thanks, Kyle. Michelle and Synaca kept me sane, and if it weren't for them, I probably wouldn't have made it. :)