Wednesday, November 17, 2010

60s 70s Book Cover Design



After watching Spartacus: Blood and Sand, I went in search of the Spartacus (the history) and was directed to Howard Fast's novel that was turned into the original movie Spartacus directed by Stanley Kubrick. Isn't this cover lovely??



Everyday we get donations here at the library, and sometimes we receive the mother lode of pulp novel goodness. Here are a few selections that we received this week - there was more but they'd been sent to the bookseller in the basement before I could get my camera.





I love this, but now, I have Kate Bush singing "Wuthering Heights" stuck in my head.







OK, not a pulp, but still a nice cover - not as nice as the very bawdy cover on the second copy of Droll Stories that was received in the box with this, but still...



7 comments:

David Waters said...

Great covers. I think I would like some framed on the wall...

cheers

Writer said...

Definitely. We've been weeding the collection and there have been some wonderful covers that I wished I'd had the camera handy.

I used to buy albums (vinyl records - sorry in this day and age I feel I have to explain what I mean by albums) from secondhand stores to hang as well.

victor said...

Do Americans read Classic authors aprat from yourself?
Do gays read books?
Do schoolchildren read something
else than the Catcher?
And which books are you reading now?

Writer said...

Hey, victor. A lot of Americans read nothing but Classic authors - so am one of many.

And, yes, a lot of gay people read.

As for Catcher in the Rye, some schoolchildren read that but usually in high school or college; and if they read during their freetime, there is a huge collection of books from Twilight to Harry Potter to Clockwork Angels and on and on.

And right now, I'm reading Secret Historian by Justin Spring. It is a biography about Samuel Steward who was a college professor, friend of Alfred Kinsey, a tattoo artist and an author of gay pulp novels in the middle part of the last century. :)

Writer said...

Hey, victor. A lot of Americans read nothing but Classic authors - so am one of many.

And, yes, a lot of gay people read.

As for Catcher in the Rye, some schoolchildren read that but usually in high school or college; and if they read during their freetime, there is a huge collection of books from Twilight to Harry Potter to Clockwork Angels and on and on.

And right now, I'm reading Secret Historian by Justin Spring. It is a biography about Samuel Steward who was a college professor, friend of Alfred Kinsey, a tattoo artist and an author of gay pulp novels in the middle part of the last century. :)

Kyle said...

Hey JP, that was a fun post. The covers are almost surreal by our marketing standards today. The mix of muted colors with almost psychedelic ones also makes them very interesting.

Writer said...

Kyle, I think you've nailed part of it on the head, but still there's something about them - I typically like design in general better from this period - the whole mod style - well, except for mopeds.