Monday, December 20, 2010

My Week in Movies

So while the rest of you have been enjoying your Harry Potter and your TRON Legacy, when I'm not OD'ing on Doctor Who, I've been watching this...


Via Wikipedia:
My Family And Other Animals tells the story of the Durrell family, Lawrence Durrell, Leslie Durrell, Margaret Durrell and Gerald Durrell, as well as their mother Louisa Durrell, as they spend five years (1935–1939) on the Greek island of Corfu. The family reside in a series of villas, and spend their time indulging in their varying interests. Gerald develops his passion for wildlife, his mother spends her time cooking; Larry writes; Leslie develops his passion for ballistics and sailing, whilst Margo sunbathes and enchants the local young men.

This was superb! The acting was wonderful. Imelda Staunto is amazing! Matthew Goode is lovely and his performance along with Russell Tovey led to many enjoyable fantasies of the two actors lying together on the beaches of Corfu. (Sorry, Sophie!)

My favorite quote from the movie (and, sorry, this may not be completely correct): "If you can control your family you've obviously gone wrong somewhere."


From the DVD case:
This feel-good documentary follows Irlan and Isabela, two teenagers from the violent favelas of Rio de Janeiro, as they pursue their dreams of becoming professional ballet dancers. This inspiring story takes us from Rio - where their communities must raise the funds to support their ambitions - to exhilarating ballet competitions in New York and Switzerland. It's a film about their determination to dance, and the price one must pay for talent, ambition and success.

Includes the short film Lil'A:
12-year-old Lil'A found dance to be the perfect antidote for the severe tics he suffered because of a nervous disorder. Now the tics have subsided and he has decided to become the best dancer and choreographer in the whole world.

Needless to say I love Billy Elliott (the movie, I've neither seen or listened to the musical), and as someone who had the same dream (to fly without wings), both these movies speak to me.

5 comments:

kaleidoscope said...

these look great...and I think o'ding on the doc is always a good thing...especially David:)

David Allen Waters said...

choices-brilliant.

Writer said...

Thanks, kal and D.W. :)

Kyle said...

I added My Family And Other Animals to the queue. Only When I Dance is already there.

Writer said...

Kyle, My Family and Other Animals is a hoot. Can't wait for you to watch it. :)