Monday, October 17, 2011

A New Hero: Zachary Quinto

Reposted via Joe.My.God.:

"When I found out that Jamey Rodemeyer killed himself - I felt deeply troubled. But when I found out that Jamey Rodemeyer had made an It Gets Better video only months before taking his own life - I felt indescribable despair. I also made an It Gets Better video last year - in the wake of the senseless and tragic gay teen suicides that were sweeping the nation at the time. But in light of Jamey's death - it became clear to me in an instant that living a gay life without publicly acknowledging it - is simply not enough to make any significant contribution to the immense work that lies ahead on the road to complete equality." - Actor Zachary Quinto, writing on his personal blog.

10 comments:

M@rvin said...

Sylar from 'Heroes' is gay?? No shit! I didn't like the show, but boy, he sure made a cute villain. He can go all psycho crazy on my ass any time he wants! ;-)

Closet Catholic Boy said...

My feeling is that these videos are only making things worse. People kill themselves because they hate themselves, or rather because they hate something about themselves that they think they cannot change. Repressing the self-hatred won't work. The only way forward is for them to come to terms with themselves, not simply to pretend that nothing's wrong.

Mitch Block said...

Thank you so much for sharing this.

becca said...

thanks for shariing this

Writer said...

M@rvin, I never got to watch Heroes, but he's ever so dreamy as Spock. :)

Writer said...

CCB, I don't agree with that. So much of this so-called "self-hatred" comes from the homophobia of society at large...well maybe not at large but it comes from a very, very vocal group of people: conservative thugs like Michelle Bachmann, the Mormon church, the Catholic church. And then when we aren't being beat over the head, the homophobia is suttle...as in TV shows and movies and other representations in which we are completely invisible or emotionally or physically neutered. Maybe It Gets Better isn't the best approach and I've talked about this with other bloggers, but I believe it is a good effort. I think maybe You Are Not Alone would have been a better idea. Because when you or I are in the throes of hostile territory that life will get better at some unknown point in the future doesn't really help. Maybe free martial arts lesson would be of more benefit. :)

Writer said...

You're welcome, Mitch. :)

Writer said...

You're welcome, becca. :)

JamTheCat said...

I wasn't aware of him until he became the new Spock; then I used him in "The Lyons' Den." Because Daniel looked a bit like him and was dressed as Spock for his birthday-Halloween party, that's one reason Tad went after him. I think one of my favorite lines in the whole book is, "Leave the ears on, okay?", as Tad's about to strip Daniel's clothes off.

Writer said...

Kyle, that sounds very, very hot! It's like me and cowboy boots: they need to stay on! :)