Thursday, November 17, 2011

Is That a Book on Your Shelf...

...or are you just happy to see me?

Via the NYT

To expose a bookshelf is to compose a self. The artist Buzz Spector’s 1994 installation "Unpacking My Library" consisted of all the books in his library, arranged "in order of the height of spine, from tallest to shortest, on a single shelf in a room large enough to hold them." Shortly after the 2008 election, a bookstore in New York set out 50-odd books to which Barack Obama had alluded in memoirs, speeches and interviews. The resulting collection revealed more about the president-elect than did any number of other displays of books by and about him.

NB: The link for "50-odd books to which Barack Obama" is not actually the 50-odd books mentioned. I couldn't find that list and settled for his Summer 2010 reading list.

4 comments:

becca said...

how interesting

Gaspatcho Jones said...

I freaking LOVE THAT IMAGE! I wish books worked that way.

Writer said...

I'm glad you like, becca. :)

Writer said...

Gaspatcho, I love that image too. It drew me to the article. :)