Thursday, February 28, 2013

Especially in Gay Years...

Via BuzzFeed

My relationship with Jason is not only an amazing love story; in some ways, it's historic. I thought about this while watching the Season 5 premiere of RuPaul's Drag Race in January, during which Logo aired an HIV-awareness "Puppet Service Announcement" (PSA) starring characters from the Broadway musical Avenue Q. In this one-minute video, Rod (the conservative banker puppet) and Ricky (the muscle gay puppet) are just back from a date, and Rod is inviting Ricky up to his apartment for the first time. Ricky is surprisingly demure. When a distraught Rod presses the issue, Ricky discloses that he is HIV positive. Rod assures Ricky that he still wants to have sex and is fine with condoms. Overjoyed, Ricky explains that he is on medication and has an undetectable viral load, which means his risk of transmitting the virus during protected sex is extremely low. Rod and Ricky rush into a smoochy embrace.

I picked this paragraph from the entire article, which you should read, btw, because I don't know how many times I've had to come out of this particular closet, and how few times, I've gotten Rod's response. Or course, the rarity of a positive response (forgive the pun) is such that when I do get it, it's better than winning a very large lottery!

6 comments:

Tamayn Irraniah said...

Well, the only way to avoid these problems really is education. It sucks that there is still discrimination against poz members, and it comes from all directions which is the worst.

Writer said...

Tamayn, have you read Susan Sontag's AIDS as Metaphor? It covers every aspect of the stigma.

Tamayn Irraniah said...

I have not, but it's a new book to add to the list. The article itself is pretty hopeful though. I'm always a fan of a story that has a happy(ier) ending.

Also, I think he's right about the difference between the fear that we grew up with. I don't remember really ever being too worried about HIV or AIDS, but in my generation it moved from life threatening illness to simply a chronic condition.

Kyle Leach said...

Just. Pisses. Me. Off. Pure stupidity and severe lack of compassion are the only reasons for that reaction. People need to confront fears, learn about them, not run away from them.

Writer said...

I have the quandary of knowing that it has become simply a chronic condition but also having internalized a lot of the stigma. It is still something that I'm working through. :\

Writer said...

But, Kyle *says in a whining voice*...

...that would take effort, and we tend to live in and want to live in an effortless society. ;)