Friday, March 29, 2013

There Goes the Neighborhood...

Via Page Views

A couple of hours ago, Amazon announcedits purchase of “social cataloguing” site Goodreads. From a business perspective, the move was both expected and wise: Goodreads provides Amazon with a social network of readers, alongside its data, book recommendation technology and 16 million users; meanwhile, Apple and Barnes & Noble are twiddling their proverbial thumbs.

The popular reaction to the purchase, however, was somewhat less exuberant than that of business analysts...

I may be going back to my original way of keeping track of the books I read: pen and notebook. :(

Here's more via GeekWire

3 comments:

Tamayn Irraniah said...

I'm interested in seeing what results. It could turn out to be a good thing, but well, I know I'm being optimistic, of course. Let's just hope it's not too much of an embarrassment....

Writer said...

Tamayn, based on the Amazon website - which I abhor - I'm just hoping they don't do any overhauls of Goodreads. :(

Kyle Leach said...

I'm willing to bet Amazon will leave Goodreads alone. They know a good thing when they see it.