Monday, October 14, 2013

Ernie and One

Friday I learned that someone I cared about in the rooms...I knew him as Greg, though it seems quite a few people called him Ernie...died. Given his behavior over the past month, we're 99.99% sure he died an alcoholic death. Another friend in the rooms said I should get used to this happening - I neither want to nor do I think that will happen.

His obituary is here.

And, now, today, we're all a little gunshy. Another friend was supposed to go with me and another AA to see Gravity this weekend. He did not show. He missed an appointment with a sponsee on Sunday, and today we still haven't heard from him. And I'm a little freaked out.

I do not want to lose anyone else...especially this second person, I'm much closer to him. :(

9 comments:

whkattk said...

So very sorry for your loss. It's difficult at best, but the circumstances make it harder. Be well and take care of yourself.

Tim said...

You can only do one thing: Be the kind of person who can be relied upon. Be the kind of person that others will go to when they want to drink, or just feel awful, or hate life, or want to die. Be the kind of person who can listen, provide advice and assistance, and gently point them in the right direction.

You can love others completely and without strings attached, so that they know they aren't alone and can reach out to you.

After that, it's up to them.

Not everyone makes it on the journey, JP. But you can set the conditions so that they have someone to help along the way, and improve that chances that you'll both be there at the end.

JamTheCat said...

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your friend, JP. Small wonder you're upset by it all.

Still keep in mind -- you're a strong, vibrant man with a lot to give to life, and you'll do all you must to keep that reality close to yourself. Moments like this are always frightening, but you'll make it through and wind up standing straight (only talking posture, here) and strong and deliciously dashing in your new high-heels. ;)

Tamayn Irraniah said...

Unfortunately all you can do is give a hand where people look down. It's admirable that you want to do more for him, but if this second friend is really broken up about it, all you can do is be there for him. I wish I had better advice, and I hope that you're doing well, and I especially hope your friend didn't take any drastic actions. One hell of a way for you to start a week...

Writer said...

Thank you, whkattk. :)

Writer said...

Tim, it's that "After that it's up to them part" that bothers me. :\

Writer said...

Kyle, lol. Heels. LOL. :)

Writer said...

Life on Life's terms, Tamayn. It got better. :)

JamTheCat said...

Glad I brought you a laugh... :-)