Tuesday, March 4, 2014

My brief email to my Governor...

Since Attorney General Jack Conway said he would not seek an appeal against Judge Heyburn's same-sex marriage ruling for Kentucky, the Governor has decided to seek outside counsel (with taxpayers' money) to appeal the ruling. Here is my email to Governor Beshear:

Dear Sir. I am a gay citizen of Kentucky. I have lived here all my life, and I am writing you to ask you not to use tax payer money to seek outside counsel to appeal the ruling of Judge Heyburn. I know I am part of a minority here in Kentucky and that you have to depend on the majority to give you the gubernatorial powers, but it is up to the governor to protect the minorities of his state. This is not mob rule. As a respected author said of Nigeria's anti-gay law: "the mark of a true democracy is not in the rule of its majority but in the protection of its minority." This isn't about freedom of religion. We are not asking you to force churches to marry us, just to respect the laws of other states that will allow us to marry. We are not even asking you to allow us to marry in Kentucky, though that would be economically beneficial to Kentucky. So please do not ask for an appeal of this ruling. I have been very proud of Kentucky in regards of the Kynect program which is a really progressive program that isn't - because of misunderstanding - particularly popular with the majority of people - this misunderstanding is equally true of Kentucky's dislike of marriage equality. Please let me continue to be proud of my home. Thank you.

Here is more from local news state WKYT

3 comments:

Tamayn Irraniah said...

I was kind of sad to hear that the governor was planning on appealing, but at the same time like you said in your letter, it's a majority rule. I dunno, it's just pretty ridiculous. I'd like to see all my friends open to find what makes them happy.

Writer said...

Yes, I just don't understand the blind fear. Meh. :(

JamTheCat said...

Well said, JP.