Monday, October 13, 2014

Good Morning.

Image by me.

Over the weekend, I finished reading David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas - which I had started reading my second week in Greece. Though I had to take a chocolate/The Walking Dead break when one of my favorite characters killed himself. (Before you ask, I'm on Season 4 of The Walking Dead.) The book was very thick - physically, emotionally and mentally and I'm pretty sure that I missed quite a bit, so I'm planning to re-read it sometime in the next year. But who knows? There's so much to read and so little time to do it, and I think I've gathered quite a bit from the book without getting too mired into its intricacies. So we'll see.

Quote from David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas:

If we believe that humanity may transcend tooth & claw, if we believe divers races & creeds can share this world as peaceably as the orphans share their candlenut tree, if we believe leaders must be just, violence muzzled, power accountable & the riches of the Earth & its Oceans shared equitably, such a world will come to pass. I am not deceived. It is the hardest of worlds to make real. Torturous advances won over generations can be lost by a single stroke of a myopic president's pen or a vainglorious general's sword.

A life spent shaping a world I want [my child] to inherit, not one I fear [he] shall inherit, this strikes me as a life worth the living.

Also...

...now I'm a spent firework; but at least I've been a firework.

2 comments:

Tamayn Irraniah said...

I have seen the movie but never knew much about the book. The movie was interesting, but I'm sure, like most movies, it does not do the book justice.... Have a great day and hopefully we'll get to talk soon!

Writer said...

Tamayn, the movie has Tom Hanks in it, and I've yet to be able to get over the roadblock to watch it. Pick up the book! :)