Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The controversy and complications of a new Harper Lee novel

Image and quotes from Jezebel

As many of you may know, a new Harper Lee novel is set to be published this coming summer. Published 55 years after To Kill a Mockingbird, the novel is called Go Set a Watchman. And while this has excited many people - I don't think I've ever seen my Facebook wall so happy over a book in my entire stint on Facebook - it does come with some complications.

Sadly, this news is not without controversy or complications. Harper Lee's sister Alice Lee, who ferociously protected Harper Lee's estate (and person) from unwanted outside attention as a lawyer and advocate for decades, passed away late last year, leaving the intensely private author (who herself is reportedly in ill health) vulnerable to people who may not have her best interests at heart.

Click over for the rest.

4 comments:

Joe said...

I hope no one is taking advantage of Miss Lee. She's a beloved person here in Alabama, and I am excited over the release of the book. The story behind its publication is pretty interesting. I've heard that Miss Lee is in poor health, but apparently still has a sharp mind.

Tamayn Irraniah said...

I had heard about this from work colleagues and the controversy surrounding it, so I really am rather concerned about how this will finish. All I can say is that I hope she'll be taken care of and that someone is watching her watchers. Isn't there another member of the Lee family or someone that we could give POA?

At least she's getting modern recognition for her work, but I do hope that her privacy is respected.

Writer said...

Joe, I think that is the concern of the piece. That without her sister protecting her, we don't know what exactly is going on. But there is also the possibility that the sister may have protected her too much.

Writer said...

Tamayn, I hope for that too. It's another case (the first was a personal case - in which an older friend kept too much to herself) in which we see the folly of not having a community of people around us - whether that be friends or family.