Monday, March 30, 2015

Slate: Teaching Evolution at the University of Kentucky

Image of John Thomas Scopes via CreoFire

Quote via Slate

We live in a nation where public acceptance of evolution is the second lowest of 34 developed countries, just ahead of Turkey. Roughly half of Americans reject some aspect of evolution, believe the Earth is less than 10,000 years old, and that humans coexisted with dinosaurs. Where I live, many believe evolution to be synonymous with atheism, and there are those who strongly feel I am teaching heresy to thousands of students. A local pastor, whom I’ve never met, wrote an article in the University Christian complaining that, not only was I teaching evolution and ignoring creationism, I was teaching it as a non-Christian, alternative religion.

2 comments:

JamTheCat said...

America, land of the dumber than dirt...

Writer said...

We're better than Turkey. #sarcasm